Friday, April 8, 2011

Mr. Deitzer's Final Blog

Day 4 This is a sad day indeed. There is no more ghost hunting left. However, there are some interesting sights yet to see. After breakfast, we loaded the bus and left West Virginia. For lunch, we stopped at the Big Mac Museum. I thought that this place was a McDonald's museum, giving the history of the franchise. Rather, it was a restaurant that pays homage to the Big Mac. The creator of the sandwich owns that restaurant and as ran it for over 40 years. His children and grandchildren has turned this McDonald's to honor their father and grandfather. In the end, I can now say that I ate a Big Mac at the Big Mac Museum. Right after lunch, we stopped at nearby Pittsburgh. There, we picked up Woody, who took us on a tour of the city. He showed us many the popular buildings, especially the building where Mr. Roger's neighborhood was shot. He took us into the University of Pittsburgh to tour the national classrooms. These rooms are decorated by various artists to display authentic classrooms in various countries. We went to the Czechoslovakian, Italian, German, and Early American rooms. I cannot picture being in one of these classrooms as a student trying to focus on a lesson. I would be way to distracted. After the National Classrooms, we rode the Duquesene Incline. This Incline was made for coal miners who had to travel up the hill to go to work. Instead of taking the 14,000 stairs, they would take the Incline. This rail is a true testament to ingenuity of American engineering. The Incline was built in the 1800s and is still used today. The only thing that is different are the cables. They get replaced every 2 years for safety. It still works! Amazing. After the Incline, we headed home. The trip is now closed. I would like to thank all of the people who made this trip as memorable as possible. First, my sister planned the whole thing. She found the remote places that turned out to be gems (like Hickory House BBQ). She also dealt with last minute changes to the schedule. Second, I could have not done any of this without a strong support of teachers. A big thanks to Mr. Steve Powell, Mrs. Tammy Giancola, Mrs. Polaske, and Miss Scirri. Without any of you, this trip would have failed. I would like to thank the bus driver, Joe David. He was truly helpful and a great guy. He helped in all aspects besides driving. He was a true lifesaver. Also, he became an active member on the trip. He joined in all of the ghost hunts and allowed me to use the bus's radio to hear evp work. Also, I would like to thank all of the tour guides, from Corning to Philadelphia to Gettysburg to Farnsworth House to Trans-Allegheny Lunatic to Pittsburgh. They were very informative and somewhat interesting. Finally, and most importantly, I could not have done ANY of this without the students. You were great! The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum's ghost hunters expressed the extreme pleasure with the group. I was so happy with the lot of you. Now, when the students read this, please go and thank your parents. Without them, you would have not been here at all. I have to say that I was truly invested in this program. I hope that the students and faculty enjoyed everything that they saw and heard. Perhaps now we will reconsider how we feel when we hear and see things that go bump in the night. Hello? Is there anyone here to communicate with me? I am not here to hurt you, only to communicate. I would like to thank you for your time and speaking with me. Please be at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment